February 17, 2009

Review: Mouse Guard Fall 1152 by David Petersen


My Summary. Fall 1152 starts out when Mouse Guards Saxon, Kenzie, and Lieam are sent off to find a grain merchant who was lost in the woods. The three guards find the merchant's overturned cart but cannot tell whether the mouse is missing or dead. If dead? Was he killed by a snake or by some enemy? As the three attempt to solve the mystery, they are startled to find that what they thought were ancient mouse myths may in fact be real.

My Thoughts. The story, which is the first in a series, is based on the idea that medieval mice have a world and technology that parallel the human world. I like fantasy and I like the medieval period, so I'm not quite sure why this book did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't feel any tension during the tense moments, I didn't get a sense of the personalities of the characters, and I didn't really care what happened. Perhaps it was my mood or perhaps I shouldn't have read this graphic novel in the middle of reading Bone.

I must say, however, that the book's illustrations are beautiful. The colors, the animals, and the lettering are simply spectacular. And I absolutely loved looking at the pictures. The page here shows scenes of the mouse town. For more of this incredible art, please see Petersen's website here.


If someone else has read or reviewed Mouse Guard Fall 1152, I will be happy to include a link, especially if you had a more positive experience. My recommendation is to look at the book for the artwork but to not have high hopes for the story.

This is cross-posted to my blog Beth Fish Reads.


Published by Archaia Studios Press
ISBN-13: 9781932386578
Rating: C

No comments: